[Buddha-l] Atheist bus campaign

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat Oct 25 19:52:58 MDT 2008

I could not help coming back here to see the offending posting. I
can't imagine being offended by this at all.  Mentioning "the 'h'
word" is in fact anathema in many circles where one is likely to find
academic buddhists standing around sipping sherry (tio pepe probably)
as though they were episcopalians.

This wasn't even offensive enough to be amusing for crying out loud.
I vote to have this posting stricken from the archives of buddha-l and
never mentioned again, except in jest.

Good luck senor (or senora) Jayarava (showing my ignorance again)

On Oct 25, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Jayarava wrote:

> --- On Thu, 23/10/08, Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:
>
>> Cars are hinayanas. A bus is a mahayana.
>
> I seem to recall you previously translating Hinayana as "garbage
> truck"...
>
> I was at a lecture by Dr Richard Salomon last year - at a PTS
> meeting. He wanted to make a reference to some early Buddhist
> doctrine, hesitated, and then muttered something like "mustn't
> mention the 'h' word" before continuing.
>
> Jayarava

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org