[Buddha-l] Acting on emptiness

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 21 11:40:04 MDT 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 10:40:35 alx437 at charter.net wrote:

> To me this relates to the crucial question of how to pick a guru.

This concern quietly brings out my Inner Quaker. I just cannot do the guru
thing. That means my only guru is myself (which could explain why I have
become overweight over the years---I've acquired a little too much gurutva).
This means I have to be careful to pick that in myself that is worthy of
heeding and to weed out that in myself that it would be disastrous to heed.
Needless to say, one cannot use oneself as a reliable guide to the best parts
of oneself. That is why a community of friends is essential. But whom should
one pick as a friend? And when friends are a mixture of sage and fool (as all
people are), how does one know which is which? My inner fool no doubt
gravitates to the inner fool in others and foolishly regards foolishness as
sagacity, much to my inner sage's dismay.

This whole issue of how one knows what acting on emptiness looks like is
probably the most important issue in being a practicing Buddhist (and/or a
convinced Quaker). Like all important problems, it is fundamentally insoluble
(or so I suspect). That's what makes life so interesting.

--
Richard
http://dayamati.blogspot.com