[Buddha-l] Orissa (was: Perhaps the Buddhists in Korea have finally had it?)

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Oct 18 11:37:02 MDT 2008

Here is a link to an article on the connections between Christians and
Maoists in Orissa:
http://www.compassdirect.org/en/display.php?page=news&lang=en&length=long&idelement=5210

Some quotes from the article:

"Maoists are suspected of using recent violence in the area to recruit
frustrated Christians and goad them into retaliating, Christian leaders
said."

"While the identities of those who attacked houses belonging to Hindus
remains largely elusive, Christian leaders suspect Maoists instigated
some ill-advised Christians to retaliate."

"Jacob Pradhan, general secretary of the Kandhamal district chapter of
the Christian Endeavour Union, told Compass that around 100 houses
belonging to Hindus were burnt ... [he] suspected that these houses were
torched by sections of 'misguided Christians' possibly incited by Maoists."

Note that the article is from a Christian publication. Also note that
the article is from February, 2008 - it was written in the aftermath of
the previous spate of violence that occurred after the unsuccessful
attempt on Swami Laskhmananda's life in December, 2007.

The article quotes a local Christian who complains that after he
survived the murder attempt, Swami Lakshmananda was still "roaming
scot-free and also holding rallies." Well, they have taken care of that,
it would seem.

According to the article, a Reverend Pariccha, president of the Orissa
chapter of the All India Christian Council, "said that some Christians
may have" participated in anti-Hindu violence "out of 'desperation'".

The "Reverend" also stated, ominously, that "local Christians are
formulating a strategy on how to peacefully but effectively respond to
incidents of persecution in the future." Eight months later Swami
Lakshmananda was dead.

Curt Steinmetz