[Buddha-l] Fake Monks in Thailand

Lidewij Niezink lidewij at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 20:29:20 MST 2008

I don't know if this hobotraveler entry is an exaggeration but i have
encountered the same problem in Hong Kong last March. The first time, a monk
came up to me, offering me a little golden colored, plastic, Chinese picture
of the Buddha. Smiling friendly he then asked for money. While pulling my
wallet, a Hong Kong business man walked up to me and told me "Do not give
this man money, this is not a real monk." The monk turned around and
disappeared. After that incident, during the subsequent four weeks i was
there, many monks kept doing the same type of thing.

It sounds like a nice way to make a quick buck.

What has been surprising me too was the amount of money donated to, -and
accepted by- Tibetan monks in Kathmandu, Nepal. I was doing my khoras during
Saka Dawa in Boudhanath, early in the morning. The place was overcrowded
with Tibetans walking their turns and monks holding their begging bowls.
Thousands of rupees disappeared in those bowls by the people qeueuing to
donate. When i donated the monks and nuns tibetan bread and coconut cookies
i got the weirdest looks from them. What is it with money and monastics
these days?

Lidewij

Lidewij Niezink, PhD
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lniezink