[Buddha-l] Fake Monks in Thailand

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Nov 19 14:26:57 MST 2008

I think this entry in the Hobotraveler blog looks like an exaggeration
or even a hoax being perpetuated to discourage tourists from giving
donations to Buddhist monks and temples - and encouraging tourists to
generally view Buddhist monks with suspicion. Or it could just be some
publicity stunt designed to drive traffic to the hobotraveler website.

The "hobotraveler" entry cites "stickmanweekly.com" as a source. That
site, in turn, appears to be primarily devoted to promoting the
sex-trade business in Bangkok. Here are a few of the other "stories"
featured at stickmanweekly.com site:

"The Bargirl's Ten Commandments"
"Naughty Boys and Digital Cameras"
"The advantages of being white"
"Drug & Alcohol Rehab in Thailand"
"The 10 Biggest mistakes western men make with Thai women"
"The dangers of drug smuggling in Thailand"
"Meeting Thai women: back to basics"
"The adventures of an online voyeur"

The other link in the original post is to "prweb.com" which is site that
will publish absolutely anything - it's basically just a random
selection of unrelated junk from the internet.

In July of 2007, there were two articles that appeared in the "Straits
Times", a Singapore newspaper, about fake monks *from* Thailand plying
their trade in Singapore. According to those stories this had already
been going on for at least two years. Here is a link to an article from,
of all people, the "Gay Buddhist Fellowship" of Singapore:
http://heartlandsg.org/2007/07/15/fake-monks-in-singapore/

Can you imagine anyone in the US pretending to be a Buddhist monk as a
way to make money?

Curt