[Buddha-l] Life of Buddha by Tezuka

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Tue Mar 4 15:54:15 MST 2008

We on Buddha-hex entertained a short-lived discussion of the Tezuka
Buddha series (8 vols in all, and each takes a while to digest
properly). I love the work and said so at the time (to the
consternation of some of our minions). I even bought the set for the
library at the Albuquerque Zen Center. I may be the only person there
who has read them so far.

But -- however inaccurate the depiction of Buddhist doctrine may be
at times, or how much someone disapproves of the depiction of this or
that character from Buddha's life -- one leaves the series with a
deeper feel for mediaeval (or pre-iaeval) India, the caste system,
and what Buddha meant when he said that all beings suffer.