[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jun 24 21:32:38 MDT 2008

Milton is wonderful! So much of what I have enjoyed reading throughout
my entire life has been stuff in translation (Homer, Plato, Dostoyevsky,
Kafka, Trotsky, Buddha, Hakuin ... ). But there is nothing like reading
someone who is a true master of language in one's own mother tongue. And
Paradise Lost is really hot stuff - between all the naughty bits and the
great speeches by Satan it's almost enough to give Puritanism a good name.

Milton was jailed for his politicking - much of which centered on
social/cultural issues. He was in favor of what we would today call
"no-fault" divorce - a concept that the state of Maryland still only
hesitantly accepts in the 21st century!

Curt Steinmetz