[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Lidewij Niezink lidewij at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:50:54 MDT 2008

> Any time a university course on religion is taught in such a way
> that it makes followers of that religious tradition happy, it is
> not being taught properly. If people want to feel warm and fuzzy
> about some religious tradition, let them go to a church, a
> synagogue, a mosque or a temple. Classrooms have no room for such
> sentimentality.
>
> This seems to me an oversimplification, if not just untrue. If followers of
a particular tradition attend university courses and find parts of the
philosophy explained particularly well, the consequence might be
happiness.This does not necessarily mean that the course was bad, does it?
On another note (and of course in my own experience), many academics seem to
be particularly warm and fuzzy about their (religious) traditions too...

Lilly

--
Lidewij Niezink, PhD
Social and Organizational Psychologist