[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jun 23 18:36:42 MDT 2008

Might depend on the university or college.
I wonder how critical the Buddhist Studies program is at Naropa,
for example. By comparison, I wonder how equanimous a course on
religion might be if taught at Notre Dame University's
Comparative Religions course, if there is one.
Joanna

Any time a university course on religion is taught in such a way
that it makes followers of that religious tradition happy, it is
not being taught properly. If people want to feel warm and fuzzy
about some religious tradition, let them go to a church, a
synagogue, a mosque or a temple. Classrooms have no room for such
sentimentality.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy