[Buddha-l] Re: H.H. The Dalai Lama on Stone and Karma

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 02:57:26 MDT 2008

In message <960012.15547.qm at web62505.mail.re1.yahoo.com>, Mitchell
Ginsberg <jinavamsa at yahoo.com> writes

>But the idea that there are no causes other than karmic
>ones just seems counter-intuitive (I know that's no
>reason or "argument" for anyone else to agree, per se),
>and seems to be unintelligible when we think of any
>complex happening (as in our world) especially when
>thinking of events that impact lots of people.

When experiencing an effect, one might suggest karmic ripening. Yet if a
stone drops on my head, it is a different experience to a stone dropping
at my side. Gravity is a cause of both effects but, from my perspective,
the effects are significantly different.  My actions were a cause for me
to be present at both effects, but one appears to be a ripening when the
other appears incidental.  To that extent, it would be counter-intuitive
for me to say that the stone falling at my side is karma. It is a 'mere'
observation.  But, in principle, should contact through touch be more of
a karmic effect than contact through sight?

I have no explanations or answers here, but as long as I can demonstrate
that I don't know, I guess there is still hope for me.

--
Metta
Mike Austin