[Buddha-l] Re: H.H. The Dalai Lama on Stone and Karma

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 23:08:32 MDT 2008

Hello all,
I was struck by the statement by HH the Dalai Lama that
every event is karma, and then saw the comments by Richard
citing the Abhidharmakosha that any event that does not
actively impede an effect can be considered a cause of that
effect, karma being among the former (deliberate action as
one kind of event), and Pedro's question about whether there
is a "traditional/orthodox" view of causation/karma and then
a "popular" one.
It does seem to be a rather sweeping idea. I don't want to
argue with HHDL, but I recall that in the Tipitaka, in any
case, there are eight sorts of particulars that are taken as
causes, karma being one of the eight, as listed by the
Buddha in a conversation with Moliyasivaka. SN.iv.230-231
(if I can believe my book The inner Palace, pp. 284,538n20.)

I have seen karma in casual (non-Buddhist contexts) used
to mean the results of one's actions (which in more precise
terminology I suppose would be called karmaphala or by
some similar term, the fruits of karma, rather than karma
itself).....

But the idea that there are no causes other than karmic
ones just seems counter-intuitive (I know that's no
reason or "argument" for anyone else to agree, per se),
and seems to be unintelligible when we think of any
complex happening (as in our world) especially when
thinking of events that impact lots of people.

It is unfortunate, I think, that HHDL's comments
about not being sure in the case of the current
earthquakes in China that the principle applies
did not go further than they did. Maybe someone
ready to ask the hard questions was not present,
or did not want to push him to address the issue
more explicitly.

It still might be asked in a general way, without
the political powder-key of any Tibetan-Chinese
communication at this point in time ....

What do others see, from either the Theravada
texts or other Buddhist sources, that can suggest
a more complicated and variegated world, where
karma is joined by other features of our world
to explain what is going on?

Mitchell

In memoriam Robert Solomon:
http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/books/TheInnerPalace/TIP_RCS.html
For information on psychotherapy with links of interest:
http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html
Homepage (updated 04 June 08): http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/