[Buddha-l] U.S. Buddhism

Patricia Q. Campbell pqcampbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 15 14:08:34 MDT 2008

>> There are plenty of people applying Buddhist wisdom to their lives or
>> practicing
>> Buddhist meditation techniques, whether they think of them that way or
>> not. Should these people be counted? Conversely, there are plenty of
>> people (Tom Tweed calls them "nightstand Buddhists") who do think of
>> themselves as Buddhist but who never join a sangha or do much if any
>> practice. Should they be counted? And, to be more strict, should
>> anyone be counted who's not taken the refuges? And really, the only
>> people in the original definition of the sangha were the noble ones,
>> the arhats. Makes me wonder if there are any Buddhists left at all.

I find it interesting that there are many people who have taken the refuges,
who live their lives according to Buddhist ethics, practices, doctrine, what
have you--even people who have ordained--who do not identify themselves as
Buddhists. A lot of the 'western' Buddhists (if we can call them either)
that I have spoken to just "don't like labels." So, there goes the
phenomenological approach, too.  Check out, if you can, Angie Danyluk's
article:  "To Be or Not To Be:  Buddhist Selves in Toronto," 127-141 in
Contemporary Buddhism, Vol. 4, no 2, 2003.

Patricia.