[Buddha-l] Energy and "The Word"

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 6 07:17:33 MDT 2008

Kate Marshall schreef:

> According to Sacred Geometry, Logos also means ratio. The only ratio that is
> simultaneously one and with one is the golden section, otherwise known as
> phi. Phi is defined as a line segment divided into two unequal parts such
> that the ratio of the shorter portion to the longer portion is the same as
> the longer portion to the whole. Phi is seen in the proportions of
> butterflies and fish, water, DNA, our number of teeth, architecture,
> philosophy, science, mathematics, and of course sound (in the form of
> music). In fact phi crops up just about everywhere throughout nature. It is
> at the basis of the underlying patterns of wave forms mentioned in one of my
> earlier posts on this subject.

I don't know what sacred geometry is, but I do know that quite a lot of
philosophers would protest, because the Roman word 'ratio' has the
connotation of commercial calculation, while 'logos' refers to meaning
and principle. A logos is not just a number (about 1.62). Of course
dividing a line in such a way can also be called a principle. But in
that case it's just one amongst many, like the seed principles (logoi
spermaticoi) of the Stoics.
> Btw, Phi is also responsible for how we perceive the various things of
> creation in that the nerves of our different sense organs respond to
> different ranges of frequencies.  Our different perceptual faculties are a
> result of various proportioned reductions of one vast spectrum of vibratory
> frequencies. These proportional relationships are seen as a sort of geometry
> of perception.
>
> As mentioned before, some early Hindus consider sound to be the first
> element of creation, played as music (governed by phi) on Shiva's
> double-ended drum.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Indians learned about the golden ratio from the Yavana's.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl