[Buddha-l] Sutra reference

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D. brucegseidner at mac.com
Thu Jul 3 08:32:23 MDT 2008

I don't get out much. but an old friend was in town and I attended his
talk on chapter 10, the fire and wood chapter, of Nagarjuna's MMK.
This Geshe  quoted a sutra I was not familiar with in response to a
question about self. The sutra used 8 examples the Buddha routinely
employed to analogize the ontological status of "self" as empty of
inherent existence. As best I recall, a flame, a signature stamp,
repeating the world "sour" to someone who has experienced the taste of
sour, and that would leave 5 that my steel trap of a memory can't
conjure at the moment. Was I lapsing into Talumdic reverie during the
talk or would some kind and intact mind among our good denizens cite
the sutra which was referenced?

Thanking you in advance.

Bruce

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D.                                 1111
Northshore Drive
Clinical & Forensic Psychology                                  Ste
S-490
Family Mediation
Knoxville, TN 37919

865.584.0171 office
865.584.0174 fax
brucegseidner at mac.com
http://www.northshore-group.com/Bio_Seidner.html
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.