[Buddha-l] Emptiness

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 15:14:46 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/1/2008 4:03:43 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
pvera at health.usf.edu writes:

Jackhat at aol.com wrote:

>Here is my understanding. Emptiness  in the Pali Canon is emptiness of an
>unchanging, independent reality.  Take a cart apart and you can't find
anything
>unchanging and  independent that is the essence of that cart. But, the cart
is
>still  real. That's one teaching. Another teaching is that the cart is real
in
>a  conventional sense but can be reduced to ultimates which is  the real
real.
> Examples of ultimate's in this case could be hardness,  smell, and color of
>the  cart's wood. There are  others.

>I guess the Mahayana view is that the cart doesn't  exist.

I don't think so Jack. I don't have references handy at the  moment but I can
dig them up later. In my understanding, the distinction is  always made when
talking about emptiness about being empty of inherent  existence. This is much
like (or essentially the same) as you describe in the  first part of your
paragraph above.

It does not mean that the cart (or  any other object, including persons) does
not exist, but that what we see and  call a cart is a confluence of factors
that arise and will eventually cease. I  don't think (but I leave it up the
scholars of the list to deal with this if  they want to) that there's not much
"ultimate" in this scheme. So I typically  don't think of reducing items of
perception to ultimates that are really real.  I think that hardness, smell and
color of wood are still composites that will  dissolve into something else
eventually. I think the whole point is to reduce  clinging and attachment.
===
Pedro,

I will stick by my analysis for now. There are 82 ultimates according  to
Thera's Abhidhamma. They are: consciousness, 52 mind constituents (for  example,
effort), nirvana and 28 forms of matter. Hardness, smell and color of  wood
are forms of matter. According to the Abhidhamma, these ultimates cannot be
reduced further. Ultimates do arise and pass away. Yes, the whole point is to
reduce clinging.

Jack