[Buddha-l] Making a living

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Feb 13 12:21:10 MST 2008

This has never been a problem for Buddhism in the past. Buddhism in Asia
has always flourished among the "middle classes" on up to the very
wealthy and the very powerful. I believe the oldest extant text of the
Record of Lin Chi has a forward written by someone who was basically a
warlord.

If anything there is a "glass ceiling" for the Buddhist upper crust in
the West. We have actors and college professors and musicians - but no
one who has the ear of the President - that's left for the likes of
Billy Graham. And there is very very little in the way of financial
support for Buddhism in the West - at least in terms of the kind of
financial support that has helped Buddhism to spread in Asia.

Curt Steinmetz