[Buddha-l] Making a living

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Feb 13 11:19:00 MST 2008

Curt et al.,

Thanks, Curt, for that kind note. I hope you are right!

Wouldn't it be great, though, if the qualities of popularity and
complexity weren't on opposite ends of a spectrum? In Japan, at least
15 years ago when I knew something about it, the "popular press"
included works by social thinkers of genuine intellect tacking
difficult subjects (especially postmodern issues arising out of
architecture). These people sold hundreds of thousands of copies of
their books and got on TV and so on (and I don't mean the Japanese
equivalent of Charlie Rose). A parallel situation in America is simply
unimaginable to me. But perhaps when we all convert to being
Republican Buddhists.... (Not so far from Japanese Buddhists as a
whole, I'd say.)

Thanks again,

Franz