[Buddha-l] FW: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 10:51:22 MST 2008

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

  “I practised TM from 1970 untill 1974. Later I discussed the technique with the late Bhante Mettaviharee. It gives to much concentration in to short a time. I saw people getting nervous breakdowns because of this.  Another effect is that it makes people gullible. I found the teachers have become numb and there was very little compassion. When I started I paid $20,- for the mantra (or bhija), now the fee is $3000,- I tought a guy meditation who had followed a hopping course in Switzerland. He said that after my instructions he finally began to understand what meditation actually was about.”

  Erik
  I agree 100% with you.  I practiced TM too, from 1976 to 1984 (or 1985?).  I knew a couple of folks who developed a pattern of anxiety attacks after several years of TM.  The pat answer that the TM instructors would give for every single problem was that they were “releasing stress.”  I also met one woman who had practiced TM for 15 years.  She had anxiety attacks, suffered from chronic insomnia, and was so numb and oblivious to other people’s needs, it scared me.  I stopped TM soon after meeting her and finding out about the scam that it was, thanks to some books I had borrowed.  The great “secret” of TM is that the so-called “individualized” and “tailored” mantras are dished out according to age.  I don’t know if it’s still online, but about 3 or 4 years ago I came across a website run and maintained by ex-TM’ers.  It was chock-full of information about the initiation puja, it had the list of bija mantras according to age, it spilled out the “secrets” of hopping, and it
 had lots of information on successful lawsuits against TM by ex-TM’ers, who had sued for damages to their health.  I found Zen about a year or two after I stopped doing TM; then, after 15 years of Zen, I found Vipassana, which, in my opinion 7 years later, is a much better match for me personally.

  Katherine