[Buddha-l] Rich men, eyes of needles and modern gurus

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Feb 7 19:49:37 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 09:24 +0800, Wong Weng Fai wrote:

> I saw this Lonely Planet program once on TV where the travellers went to a
> TM center in Pune. The guru there was given them a guided tour and he said
> something that stuck to my mind till now...
>
> "All the major religions in the world take care of the poor. But who is
> there to take care of the rich? Our goal is therefore to stay focus on the
> rich."

I once met a Swiss brain surgeon who had just spent a week with
Rajneesh. With tears in his eyes, the doctor said exactly the same
thing. I fought back snickers of cynicism as this guy fought back tears
of gratitude that a guru was tending to his particular spiritual needs.
Of course the prayers of the rich were eventually answered. George W.
Bush was elected president.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy