[Buddha-l] BURMA [Fwd: News from Burma: bludgeoning monks by the'lone-tein' ]

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Fri Sep 28 02:06:56 MDT 2007

Joy Vriens wrote:

> Thanks for posting this Chris.

> Is your friend aware of this of the demand of the BBC website:
> "Are you in the area? Are you affected by the events in Burma? Send us your comments using the form below.
> You can send your pictures and moving footage to yourpics at bbc.co.uk or text them to + 44 (0) 7725 100 100 "

Yes - but I don't know how many more pictures will get out. BBC is now reporting
that the junta is claiming some undersea communications cable has acidentally
been severed and that intertnet services have been almost totally cut. They also
report that a Japanese news photographer was been shot and killed by the military.

On the news a few minutes ago there a report of one case of a few
common soldiers bowing to the monks and refusing orders to fire.
If that spreads perhaps there is some hope - though there are many
more reports of soldiers shooting and gassing people who continue to
gather.

  Elsewhere on the BBC site at
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7015922.stm>
there is a comment by Vishvapani a "member of a Buddhist Order in the West" on
Loving Kindness and the situation in Burma

> It is absolutely ridiculous that members of the junta like Brig Gen Thura
> Myint Maung, minister for religion, warned the Buddhist monks not to break Buddhist
> "rules and regulations" in the light of the "action that is taken".

>  Is there a possibility that Buddhist countries, such as Bhutan,
>  condemn these actions officially as Buddhist nations?

While those Bhutanese who are aware of the situation are appalled  I don't know
if Bhutan will *officially* say anything. Politics and media are quite a new
thing here. The only things those Bhutanese who have TV seem to watch are Indian
soap operas, song and dance, and European football.

Currently most members of of the Bhutanese government including ministers have
resigned in order to take part in the first fully democratic elections scheduled
to take place here early next year. Meanwhile most government departments are
being run by civil service staff who don't have the authority to make official
policy by themselves.

In foreign affairs Bhutan has also been constrained by a long standing agreement
  or treaty with India that they will "take advice" from India on all foreign
affairs matters. I understand a new agreement was recently made that this will
no longer be the case from next year.

- Chris