[Buddha-l] Re:New film by Tibetans--'Milarepa' --my favorite

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 19 09:04:59 MDT 2007

Hmmm--at least they included something of Marpa the Intrepid Translator.
I wasn't suggesting the 'admonishment of his sister' scene as a 'nudie'
scene- but rather as a  marvelous example of interface between the samsaric
world's rules and the renunciant, and the irony of it all. (Yes, my ref. to
a  putative French version did hint at their less prude attitude to nudity
in film.)
However, I wouldn't want a film to provide (or claim to provide) scenes of
rituals that are supposed to remain secret, nor in fact would I go to see
such a film. Hells bells.
Cheers, Joanna
==========

> if a French filmmaker made this film, he'd include the famous scene
> where Mila's sister admonishes him for living in his cave and meeting
> people stark naked

I believe the film ends when Milarepa meets Marpa. So you'll have to wait
for the sequel for any nude scenes. What I wonder is if the sequel will show
Milarepa doing exercises from Highest Yoga Tantra. I remember when Meeting
With Remarkable Men came out many years ago and some students of Gurdjieff
were upset that the end of the film showed some sacred dances that had been
secret before.

----
Bernie Simon