[Buddha-l] sam harris at the aspen institute

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 15 11:12:56 MDT 2007

Gang,

My master's thesis advisor (Don Gelpi, S.J.) was intellectually in love
with Peirce and found no conflict between his views and those of the
Society of Jesus, so I reckon that makes Peirce both a Buddhist and a
Jesuit. But the story I love about Peirce comes after James began to,
as Richard says, "highjack" Pragmatism. Peirce, miffed, changed the
name of his system to "Pragmaticism" and commented that this would
insure that no one else would want to steal the name again.

Like my favorite koans, this one is no doubt mythologized and
non-historical, but hey, it's still a good story, and good stories are
(and here comes the mandatory hidden Buddhist content) half the
spiritual life--or was it good friends to share them with?

Franz