[Buddha-l] Dangerous religious literature?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Sep 12 10:40:58 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 18:58, jkirk wrote:

> I wonder if the NYT article pertained only to NY prisons?

Laurie Goodman's article, published September 10, 2007 in the NY Times begins
with the words:

\begin{quote}
Behind the walls of federal prisons nationwide, chaplains have been quietly
carrying out a systematic purge of religious books and materials that were
once available to prisoners in chapel libraries.
\end{quote}

It's quite easy to find on the Internet all kinds of programs aimed at
providing books for prisoners. Buddhists, like most other religious
persuasions, have been doing this for decades.

What I have not been able to find is the list of Buddhist books that are still
(that is, after September 11, 2001) allowed in federal prisons by the
authorities who have limited religious literature lest it breed terrorist
sentiments.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy