[Buddha-l] the true authority on meanings

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 22 15:04:47 MDT 2007

On Monday 22 October 2007 14:15, jkirk wrote:

> In Hind (apparently unlike in Skt.), pujaa is a nm.

It's quite unusual for nouns to change gender as they move from one language
to another. In fact, this is the first instance of that phenomenon I have
seen.

> Thus, the final vowel in Bengali pronunciation becomes a sort of 'o' sound.

What's the rationale for the NY Times to adopt the Bengala pronunciation (as
opposed to the Bengali spelling or the Sanskrit spelling and pronunciation)?
I can only see this as another sign of the corruption of American Sanskrit by
the influence of vulgar languages. I'm thinking I ought to cancel my
subscription to the NY Times over this matter. Any newspaper that can't get
Sanskrit right is hardly worth reading, eh?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy