[Buddha-l] Props for Bush

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 17 22:14:46 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 11:35, Franz Metcalf wrote:

> It is so rare that I can read a statement by President Bush and not
> cringe, I just had to forward his recent words on HHDL.

This past weekend I was at the "Enlightening Relationships" shindig in New
York, NY. When someone there announced that the Dalai Lama was going to be
receiving a medal from George Bush, the auditorium (some 500 people being
present) was filled with laughter. Clearly, the gathered Buddhists and
psychoanalysts took the presentation as a joke. That notwithstanding, I agree
that the president's remarks about the lama have been pleasant and even
gracious.

This now brings to two the number of things George Bush has done that have
pleased me (the first being his attempt to do the right thing about
immigration from Mexico and points south). I am hoping he will someday do a
third thing to please me: leave office.

I thought the Dalai Lama's acceptance speech was as courageous as it was
insightful. It was the best speech I've heard since Evo Morales was on Jon
Stewart's program. Why is it that in America one hears good speeches only
from visiting dignitaries?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy