[Buddha-l] "The Origins of Religious Violence" (was: Dialectics in Eastern Thought)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Oct 11 07:47:10 MDT 2007

Katherine Masis wrote:
> I think it was Curt who had asked some time ago about
> dialectics in Eastern thought.  Quite by accident, I
> found the following article by Nick Gier, who taught
> for 30+ years at University of Idaho:
>
> "Revised version of an article published as
> "Dialectic: East and West," Indian Philosophical
> Quarterly 10 (January, 1983), pp. 207-218."
>
> http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/307/dialectic.htm
>
> It looks interesting, but I haven't read it yet.  Let
> me know what you think.

It turns out the same fellow is working on a book on "The Origins of
Religious Violence". I found his "prospectus" rather intriguing:

"This book will consist of an introduction and three parts. The
Introduction will summarize religiously motivated violence in the
Abrahamic religions. Part I will be a detailed response to incidents in
Asian history where such violence has been alleged or is apparently
evident. Except for the violence caused by the fusion of state and
religion in Tibet and Japan, the analysis will show that most religious
violence in Asia came after colonial incursions there. Anticipating that
there has been far more of this violence in the Abrahamic religions,
Part II will be a theoretical investigation of why this has been the
case. Part III will consist of a Gandhian proposal to teach nonviolence
as a civic virtue as well as personal virtue.

Some commentators have claimed that the violence of Hindu and Buddhist
fundamentalists in India and Sri Lanka has proved that these religions
are not as peaceful as they were once thought to be. I will show that
religiously motivated violence in Asia was rare before the arrival of
Muslim armies and European colonialists. I will further show that Hindu
and Buddhist fundamentalism is the result of a “reverse” Orientalism by
which some Hindu and Buddhist thinkers proposed theories of religious
and cultural superiority by giving a racial interpretation to the Aryan
hypothesis of European linguists." (see more at:
http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/orvproposal.htm )

Personally I would take issue with the use of the term "Abrahamic" -
since, as the author tacitly accepts, the sins of Christianity and Islam
in this regard are not visited upon Judaism. I also have to disagree
with what I see as a superficial analysis of "Hindu and Buddhist
fundamentalists" and his equally superficial pronouncements concerning
"Ghandianism". However, his historical work on religious violence in
India and China appears to be groundbreaking. Not because he says
anything new - but because for the first time someone is clearly
pointing out the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Curt Steinmetz