[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 20 14:55:03 MST 2007

Curt did understand my remark: it is a Western presupposition that makes
us separate out the wisdom/intellectual approach from the "practice"
approach. The pathway of wisdom is a form of practice.

I recall that David Kalupahana has a chapter in one of his books which
discusses the A.N. sutra's analysis of the monk who practiced the
pathway of wisdom and achieved the goal of Nirvana, and the monk who
practiced the pathway of dhyana, and achieved Nirvana. As I remember,
the pathways are separable yet achieve the same goal.

I think this might have been in his "Buddhist Philosophy: A Historical
Analysis" published by U.H. but I don't have the book in front of me in
my office. It might have been in his book on Buddhist causality
(pratityasamutpada). I just can't remember.
Bob