[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 20 12:23:01 MST 2007

Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> intellectual approach." They feel an  understanding gained through studying the
> Abhidhamma is sufficient.
>
> I had understood Bob's comment about scholarship being the  practice as an
> "only intellectual approach." Was I incorrect?
>
> jack.

I wouldn't speak for Bob - but to me it sounded like he was saying that
it is a mistake to "make a separation between scholarship vs. practice".
Which I agree with - and, moreover, I would contend that this is (a)
common-sense, and (b) widely accepted among Buddhists and Hindus.

The quickest way to liberation is almost certainly to focus (but not
exclusively) on whatever one is *least* inclined to. If you want to get
fancy you could do a weighted average over all of the yogas - where the
weight is assigned in reverse proportion to one's proclivities. But it's
simpler to just do them all - which is really not that complicated:
Read. Pray. Meditate. Help. Repeat.

Curt

P.S. The yahoo group's description clearly states that "The discussions
include matters of both theory and practice, with the aim of developing
precise understanding of dhammas (the ‘realities’ of the present
moment)." The description also says that they are "under the guidance"
of Khun Sujin Boriharnwanaket - who is a vipassana (meditation) teacher.