[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Fri Nov 16 21:23:13 MST 2007

Dan,
>Any success stories with non-"native" Buddhist parents? Or is this a missing
>ingredient for Western (aka American) Buddhists?

When we talk about (or desperately search for) success stories of "Western Buddhist" parents successully transmitting "Western Buddhism" to their children, we should also remember the stories of utter failure of the parents of those parents. They failed to transmit their religion to their children, who went off to become vague buddhists. How did that happen, what went wrong? The only thing that the second generation of parents can authentically transmit is that failure. And they seem pretty successful in that.

Joy