[Buddha-l] Mahavamsa

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 13:11:37 MST 2007

Dear Professor,

  Did you meant Mahaava.msa 35 or 25?

  It is obvious that I do not have the .tiikaa.So, what exactly did the .tiikaa say?
  What I understand by reading your reply is that D. offered his own mother for marriage to Damila Titthamba?

  Thanks a lot,
  Rahula

"L.S. Cousins" <selwyn at ntlworld.com> wrote:
  Rahula,

>So, the translation of Dutthagamani usisng his enemy's mother as
>hostage is correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Rahula

I don't think so. Mahaava.msa 35 8-9 itself is unclear. The
interpretation of the .tiikaa is that D. captured his enemy by
offering his own mother in marriage i.e. he enticed him out of a
strongly fortified position.

Lance