[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Wed Nov 7 05:39:57 MST 2007

Dan,

Your points are well enough taken within their respective context(s).  I'm well aware of the real strife between the Catholic Orders and how that strife was also expressed in more properly civil matters.  It's fair to say that the situation was neither as sinister as you tend to portray nor as seemingly innocent as I have.  It is interesting to note the complicity of Japanese Buddhist officials in the persecution of Christians, particularly the role of the temples as mechanisms to safeguard against Christianity once the persecutions became definitive.  At any rate, religions are nothing apart from the people who adhere to them.  If one is to speak of religions as somehow things out there, one is projecting.  Ultimately, the matter reduces to the people who claim certain beliefs as their own and who use them rightly or wrongly, i.e. act rightly or wrongly.

Stan