[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Nov 6 13:04:23 MST 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 12:25, L.S. Cousins wrote:

>  But there is something good we
> can say about Buddhism: it has a better track record in this area.
> Better, not perfect.

Over the years, I have come to admire you for your carefulness and clarity of
mind. The claim you make here, however, is an exception. It is, I am pleased
to say, a very rare exception. But it is an exception.

> If this is acknowledged, then I will be happy
> not to point the finger at the theistic religions.

Human beings are human beings. No group of people has a monopoly on
unwholesomeness, and no group of people has done, on a whole, much better
than anyone else. I'm sorry, but I simply do not acknowledge the validity of
your claim, so I find your finger-pointing a distressing deviation from
clarity in your thinking that I have come to admire.

> Statement of what is true is not a breach of
> speech precepts, unless there is intention to hurt or divide.

I could not agree more. I would therefore invite you to speak of these issues
by making statements of what is true. It is impossible for me to believe that
there is anything in saying "Buddhists have a better track record than
followers of theistic religions" that is intended to sew harmony.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy