[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 6 12:25:14 MST 2007

Richard,

>It is equally regrettable that many generally well-meaning followers of
>non-Abrahamic religions cannot seem to focus on anything but the violence in
>the history of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Not a few Buddhists I have
>known seem to forget all about the Buddhist speech precepts when it comes to
>talking about Christianity and Islam.

There are obviously many good things and many bad things to be said
about Christianity. But this is not the place to talk about Christian
mysticism or Wilberforce and so on. But there is something good we
can say about Buddhism: it has a better track record in this area.
Better, not perfect. If this is acknowledged, then I will be happy
not to point the finger at the theistic religions. They can clean
their own stables. Statement of what is true is not a breach of
speech precepts, unless there is intention to hurt or divide.

Lance