[Buddha-l] neuroscience: neural plasticity

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed May 30 10:46:00 MDT 2007

Hi Steve,
Were you able to learn who sponsored this one? I tried reading the article
and gave up.
Joanna

On May 29, 2007, at 7:15 PM, jkirk wrote:

> There is a short overview in today's Science section of the NY Times
> of Norman Doidge's new book on neural plasticity:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2yusra
>
> Doidge's website
>
> http://www.normandoidge.com/
Are you familiar with the research on vipassana and neural plasticity? It is
a provocative new area.

This is a fascinating new topic for meditation researchers interested in
"hardware". But really, that's also the problem: drug companies love to
sponsor "hard" research if it leads to the latest and greatest
multi-spectrum SSRI and gazillions for them. They'd love to know how
meditators are getting blissed out so they can sell it back to others.
That's why I always question the ultimate sponsors in these sorts of things.

-Steve