[Buddha-l] Origins

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue May 29 07:54:20 MDT 2007

Isidoros wrote:

> When is now considered for Buddha to had been born?
> I have read a varied number of dates, that most all seem,
> to me, to be more or less arbitrarily set. Even the more
> historically conservative ones appear to be still seriously
> skewed by exaggerated beliefs, bowing essentially to them.

Seriously skewed which way? Most people seem to accept a date
somewhere around 500 BCE (which is much more recent than many
traditional accounts). Are you trying to suggest even this
may be too early?

Mind you someone in in India claims to have come up with 'evidence'
that the Buddha was born around 1,200 years earlier in 1887 BCE:
<http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=10,2190,0,0,1,0>

- Chris