[Buddha-l] Re: Article of possible interest

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon May 21 11:39:11 MDT 2007

> Karma, War and Inequality in Twentieth Century Japan
> By Brian Victoria
> http://japanfocus.org/products/details/2421

It is unfortunate that it is true that many Buddhists have misunderstood
or mis-represented the teaching of karma (as I understand it). However, I
attribute that to the general human nature of finding excuse to be lazy -
or worse to continue oppression or exploitation. Perfectly fine folks who
don't believe in karma have no problem ignoring Darfur (for this or that
reason) or poverty and gun-violence (in their own backyard), for example.

As a karma believer, I find the important thing that we Buddhists forget
is this: whether or not a person who is suffering is suffering because of
karma or not we shall never know (only enlightened beings are able to
fully comprehend such things - according to the scripture). But if we
stood still and ignore that person, then we are almost certainly creating
our very own negative karma - and you don't need to be enlightened to
comprehend this.

W.F. Wong