[Buddha-l] What Batchelor actually said

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 18 13:37:12 MDT 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007 12:11, curt wrote:

> I would be very interested to know what Richard thinks the significance
> of the context is in this case. It would seem to me that Batchelor just
> drops this little chestnut down in order to help prop up the overall
> view that Religion is the Arch-enemy of Reason.

I see very little evidence for that reading of Batchelor. In his book as a
whole he explicitly advocates pluralism and keeping an open mind on questions
that have not been definitively answered. He does see science as a way that
questions can be approached, but, like the Jungian he was trained in Zurich
to be, he also advocates the arts and other aesthetic approaches that enrich
and nourish the human spirit. (This is not simply something he advocates. he
also practices it. He takes and publishes stunningly beautiful photographs.)

Rather than being someone who has fallen into a mind-numbing scientism or
positivism or rationalism or empiricism, Batchelor strikes me as having a
highly developed sense of curiosity about a very wide range of topics in
science, psychology, the social sciences, the humanities and in comparative
religions. He is nowhere nearly as narrow as his detractors seem to like to
portray him.

> And just for the record, please note that I quoted Batchelor's exact
> words in my first post - and provided the page number of the book that
> the quote was taken from. Richard's subject heading is therefore
> intentionally misleading.

Yes, you did quote part of a sentence verbatim. No one disputed that. What I
was trying to do was to show more fully what Batchelor's argument is and to
provide a context for those few words you quoted. I don't believe anything I
wrote was in fact misleading, and I am certain it was not my intention to
mislead. So you guessed wrong about my intentions.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy