[Buddha-l] Doxastic minimalism (was: flat earth?)

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Fri May 18 11:41:02 MDT 2007

In a message dated 5/17/2007 6:01:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
vicen.bcn at gmail.com writes:

Jac>  Can you give an example of how this "sacred scenography" is
Jac> found  in  sayings of the Buddha?

I understand Buddha was not against the  ritual when it is not
an end in itself. In example, the Sigalovada  Sutta:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.nara.html

Buddha  don't teach him to stop the ritual but He explain him  these
meanings.

Thanks for pointing me toward this sutta. I hadn't read it before. I  perhaps
read it differently than you. I thought the Buddha was taking the sacred  out
of the rituals to make them more in tune with Buddhism.

I'm not against rites and rituals. They are useful to some people. But,  they
can also get in the way. The first level of attainment in Buddhism is the
stream enterer. One of the fetters one has to overcome to reach this level is
not to have blind acceptance of rites and rituals, that is, belief that rites
and rituals in themselves buy us anything.

Jack