[Buddha-l] flat earth?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri May 18 07:42:03 MDT 2007

Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Sorry to say, but I'm another one of those people who really, really
> dislike Batchelor.  He should go off and start his own religion
> instead of bowdlerizing Buddhism.  I personally find his approach
> totally uninspiring and  not a tad destructive of spirituality. But as
> RH says, leave him to those who find his work of interest.

There are at least three good reasons for critiquing Batchelor, as
opposed to simply agreeing to disagree (silently).
(1) A great many people have similar feelings and thoughts, but
Batchelor is one of the few people who really tries to articulate this
perspective.
(2) Close inspection of what Batchelor actually says is quite revealing.
Mostly it is just a rehash of Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha". The main
difference being that Batchelor apparently wants people to seriously
believe that what he is presenting is the original, true, pure teachings
of the Buddha - whereas Hesse had no such grandiose delusions.
(3) Buddhism, like most "Asian" religions, has always been the subject
of lively debate - and that is putting it mildly. It is, in fact, a very
healthy thing to engage in vigorous debate - if only to demonstrate that
strong disagreements about religion do not lead to (and historically
have not led to) bloodshed or anything of the sort. This is an
especially important lesson for people of European descent - whose
recent history has tended to make them think (erroneously) that
religious debate must always be associated with horrific violence.

- Curt