[Buddha-l] flat earth?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 16 19:41:20 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 16:47, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Sorry to say, but I'm another one of those people who really, really
> dislike Batchelor.  He should go off and start his own religion instead of
> bowdlerizing Buddhism.

One of the things I really like about Buddhism (and most other systems of
thought, come to think of it) is its elasticity. It just keeps expanding to
suit the needs and temperaments of the people who benefit from it. What I
especially like about Buddhism is that most people who find new ways of
presenting it do so without feeling they have to get rid of old ways. People
just keep adding without subtracting. (We can leave the Lotus Sutra out of
consideration for the moment.) Batchelor is very much in that tradition. He
sees no reason why Buddhist teachings and practices should be available only
to monastics and to people who gravitate toward authority figures; in saying
that, he never shows signs of feeling it necessary to regard traditional
forms as invalid. Unlike Calvin, who felt a need to prove that the Pope was
the anti-Christ, Batchelor seems quite content simply to add yet another way
of deriving benefit from carefully selected Buddhist teachings and practices.
What Buddhist has not selected his texts with great care? So where you see
Bowdlerization, Stephen, others see discernment.

During the past few years I have been interested in watching hyphenated
Buddhism grow. I read with interest the Unitarian-Universalist Buddhist
Fellowship list, and have been fascinated with Quaker-Buddhist hybrids of the
likes of Jim Pym and Mary Rose O'Reilly. Stephen Batchelor speaks to the
condition of those who, like Quakers, have confidence that every living human
being can be as fully authoritative in things that really matter to them as
institutionally sanctioned teachers, and who have grown suspicious of
institutions that seem more intent on maintaining power than in providing
anything of spiritual nourishment.

> I personally find his approach totally uninspiring
> and not a tad destructive of spirituality.

Of course there is no such thing as spirituality as such. Everyone has
something or other that feels conducive to personal growth and well-being,
and in the final analysis I think we all have to roll our own spirituality,
for no one else has the ability to scratch us where we really itch. While I
can see very easily why a person might find Batchelor totally uninspiring, it
is more difficult to understand how someone would find this very gentle and
thoughtful man and his wife in any way destructive to anything except
kilesas.

> But as RH says, leave him to those who find his work of interest.

That seems an excellent practice. It is certainly a more wholesome practice
than mockery and ridicule, although I would be the first to admit that being
sardonic, sarcastic and caustic allows one to write more interesting prose.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy