[Buddha-l] A candid question

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 17:36:54 MDT 2007

Replies below.

--- Franz Metcalf <franzmetcalf at earthlink.net> wrote:

> MIchael,
>
> Joanna has solved your problem in the way I was going to
suggest. The
public library is one of America's two or three greatest (or is
it only?) gifts to the world. And I'll add that, as the estimable
Winston King is dead, we needn't feel too guilty about denying
him royalties on  his work. (Being an author and a father, I
ought to be more enduringly  possessive of copyright, but that
just seems wrong to me.)

Indeed, this list is a treasure trove of ideas.

One might consider the transistor a gift of sorts to the world.
Computers, perhaps.

I never feel like I've denied any authors royalties for checking
their books out of libraries. It's no different from browsing
their works in bookstores. I find what I like and buy it, if it's
in print and affordable (e.g., Jack Kornfield's excellent _Living
Buddhist Masters_).

> As for your explicit question of how much King's book is
"worth," how
much is any book worth? I attended the Los Angeles Times Festival
of
Books, Saturday. Quite the bibliophile's shindig. But I noticed
that
the largest crowds and longest lines were in the children's book
section (being a dad, I notice such things now). People had to
take  numbers just for the privilege of standing in line for an
hour to have  Julie Andrews Edwards sign their piece of pulped
wood. Aside from the  cult of personality, there was also a real
fetishization of the object,  and not just among kids. I couldn't
help but think the Buddha would  have kept an ironic distance.

Yes, it was a poor question, and I apologize.

Regarding your observation, some years back I had a similar
opportunity to have one of Anne Rice's vampire novels signed. Got
to the bookstore (a 50-mile drive), saw the line, saw Ms. Rice
far in the back, and said the heck with it.

> Speaking of ironic: I'll now return to researching my Buddhist
> novel.
>
> Franz

Do tell!

I've tried some Buddhist fiction but can't decide if <heh> it's
"worth the money." _Hungry Ghost_ wasn't, even at less the $5.

Best wishes,

Michael

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.