[Buddha-l] Is polyamory kilesa?

Tony Trigilio tony at starve.org
Mon May 14 06:29:16 MDT 2007

Stefan--

Thanks for bringing this up, and I agree with you.

"Misconduct" is the translation I see most often.  Thinking of the ethics of
monogamy vs. polyamory, I have to ask the simple question, based on this
translation:  how could love and intimacy be considered acts of
"misconduct"?  They lead easily to misconduct when they're bound up in
intractable cravings and attachments, of course.  Monogamous relationships
are difficult in themselves, but they don't trigger craving & attachment to
the same degree as polyamorous ones do.  In many cases, despite the best
intentions, polyamorous relationships exponentially increase the cravings
and attachments that we're working so hard to observe and let pass.  So I
can see why in so-called "conservative" and so-called "liberal" Buddhist
communities, it would be tempting to consider polyamory "sexual misconduct."

The trouble, of course, is that many of us, in our monogamous relationships,
also can't negotiate the boundary between "love" and "misconduct."  For
folks in polyamorous relationships who do not communicate well (dooming such
relationships eventually), then I think love and intimacy will lead to
unshakable attachment and then misconduct.  But for those in polyamorous
relationships who work hard to communicate among all parties, then I can't
see any reason why love and intimacy would be misconduct.

Best,

Tony

  _____