[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Mar 9 20:29:48 MST 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:24:40 -0800 (PST)
  David S <vipassana8123 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Vicente Gonzalez, for your comments.
>
>  Due to some of the constructive criticism and some of
>the completely non-constructive criticism to some things
>at my website, I have made some changes.

One of my undergraduate teachers of creative writing was
fond of saying to us "Show me someone who can take
criticism, provided it is constructive, and I'll show you
someone who can't take criticism."

Please know that, to the best of my understanding, not a
single remark made about your website was meant to be
anything but helpful. So it is gratifying to know you used
some of it imporve your website.

>And I have added some important notes to the
>bottom of the quiz for those who find it offensive, but
>still feel the need to take the quiz.

Did someone find your innocuous quiz offensive? On what
grounds were they offended? And how did you learn about
it?

>  For those interested in seeing the changes go to the
>website and click on "Buddhists in the World Page" and
>the "Take the quiz" page.

Much better. Properly self-effacing and all that. But on
your web site I found this page much more interesting:

http://www.vipassanafoundation.com/retire/index2.html

Not that many Vipassana sites these days have a
get-rich-quick-by-speculating-in-real-estate page.
Unfortunately, I am 62 years old and love my job and
therefore have no aspirations to retire at the age of 40.
But by golly for those serious meditators who DO want to
get rich quick and retire at age 40, I'm glad you showed
them the Way. Indeed, I think yours is one of the best
Vipassana-inspired Real Estate speculation sites coming
out of Las Vegas, NV.

(Welcome again to buddha-l, Dr Snyder. Please don't take
any of these comments any more seriously than any of us
took your little quiz. After all, probably no on else in
our little Buddhist coffee klatch can truthfully say as
you do in your autobigraphical sketch that his "aptitude
for research and analysis of statistics and numbers from
his education and work experience was utilized into a
successful real estate investment career...")

Richard