[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Mon Mar 5 23:40:30 MST 2007

On 06 Mar 2007, at 1:41 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> I think we should follow the example of Buddhist texts themselves
> and simply
> be content to say that there are as many Buddhists as there are
> grains of
> sand on the banks of the Ganges.

An excellent idea, Richard, BUT

What is the maximum size a grain can be before it is regarded as a
pebble?

and

Are we looking at the Ganges itself only, or at the entire
riversystem with every tributary counted? And in the same vein, how
far does the Ganges delta extend into the sea?

Once we have clarity on these issues, the vital work of grain-
counting can start. Everybody, get out your grant application forms!

:-)