[Buddha-l] Buddhism, the second largest religion in the world

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:41:29 MST 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 15:45, Jeff Wilson wrote:

> Counting Buddhists is on the whole about as productive as herding
> cats, I tend to think.

Having two cats, and a dog who is very good at herding them, I am inclined to
think that herding cats is far more productive than counting Buddhists.

I think we should follow the example of Buddhist texts themselves and simply
be content to say that there are as many Buddhists as there are grains of
sand on the banks of the Ganges. A Buddhist is someone on the path, or, as we
say in academia, taking the course.

The number of people who complete the Buddhist course is, needless to say,
pathetically small. We might even say that graduates are possible to count on
the little finger of one hand, but one might have to wait many millennia to
find as many graduates of the Buddhist course as one can find little fingers
on one hand. (Of course in China, where for many centuries devout Buddhists
have cut or burned their fingers off in bursts of painful piety, this whole
business of counting anything digitally has become a bit complicated.)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy