[Buddha-l] Re: Filtered Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jun 27 13:56:48 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007 13:20, curt wrote:

> I could quote you chapter and verse from the writings of Stephen
> Batchelor on both of these issues (disparaging Asian Buddhists and
> clamoring for things less challenging), but we just did that not long
> ago.

Yes, and you failed to produce any passages that disparaged Asians or clamored
for something less challenging. All you could produce then were passages into
which you had read a great deal more than was being said. I know Stephen
Batchelor fairly well and I know his writings very well, and I find your
claim that he disparages Asians laughable, and your claim that he seeks
something less challenging plainly pernicious.

But leave Batchelor aside. We have already demonstrated that we disagree on
how to interpret him. Your claim, if I understand it, is that disparaging
Asian Buddhists is not just a feature of one man's writings but is endemic to
Western Buddhism. If that is the case, you should be able to produce quite a
lot of evidence in all kinds of writers besides Batchelor. Give us some more
examples. Or, better yet, just admit that you are making stuff up for no
better reason that to entertain yourself with recreational libel and slander.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy