[Buddha-l] the 22 vows

Sherab Lodro mahasukha at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 16 04:23:24 MDT 2007

Hi Joanna, Curt and others,

    While on an extended visit to India, that included trips to seven of the
"eight" Buddhist pilgrimage sites endorsed by the Indian Government tourist
literature, I encountered numerous beings that had converted to Dr.
Ambedkar's style of Buddhism. Truth be told, I found it troubling that while
looking at a text produced by the Ambedkar folks with a gentleman who was
studying it, there was explicit teaching on the truth of a permanent soul.
The religious teachings expressed had little to do with what most members of
this list would think of as "Buddhist".  However I agree with Joanna about
the lives of the Dalits from my limited exposure and observation.  This may
not be the teaching of the Buddha as we know it, but it is certainly "a
better hole to run to", and in that, leads to a downgoing of suffering.

Sherab