[Buddha-l] the 22 vows

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jun 15 20:11:28 MDT 2007

Well Curt,
If you knew anything about the lives most Dalits have been forced to lead,
you would understand the origin and promulgation of these vows, meant to
release the converts from the control that belief in these Hindu deities has
had over the detrimental pursuit and practice of their lives, as Hindus.
These 22 vows are not surprising at all, and no more sectarian than
allegiances to various schools of Buddhism, Christian sects, Islamic sects,
etc.

Joanna

Those much touted "conversion" ceremonies for Dalits in India involve taking
22 vows - at least 8 of which are devoted to pure unmitigated religious
sectarianism of the the most distasteful variety. I am surprised that a
non-Christian came up with these:

I shall have no faith in Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara nor shall I worship
them.

I shall have no faith in Rama and Krishna who are believed to be incarnation
of God nor shall I worship them.

I shall have no faith in Gauri, Ganapati and other gods and goddesses of
Hindus nor shall I worship them.

I do not believe in the incarnation of God.

I do not and shall not believe that Lord Buddha was the incarnation of
Vishnu. I believe this to be sheer madness and false propaganda.

I shall not perform Shraddha nor shall I give pind-dan.

I renounce Hinduism, which is harmful for humanity and impedes the
advancement and development of humanity because it is based on inequality,
and adopt Buddhism as my religion.

I firmly believe the Dhamma of the Buddha is the only true religion.

- Curt

P.S. That last one is my favorite!!!