[Buddha-l] philosophical (as opposed to agnostical) buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jun 4 08:06:54 MDT 2007

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Those were the days my friend, allthough I would hesitate to qualify
> Tsongkhapa and Mipam as philosophers, I think they were more doctrine
> reformers like Luther and Küng. Nowadays the Buddhist leaders are not
> productive, but reproductive, they preach the truth instead of asking
> themselves questions, their minds are as dead as doornails. Their main
> occupation is flying around in jets and buying real estate.

In the sense that Hadot uses the word philosophy, which I feel is very
close to it's original meaning, the activity of philosophizing has
little to do with "productivity" - which is a modern fixation of
scholars of philosophy. By the criterion of "productivity" Marcus
Aurelius would not be considered a "philosopher" - since there is
absolutely nothing original in his "work" - which was never intended for
others anyway. But as an exercise in applying philosophy to one's own
life, Marcus' "Meditations" are rightly seen as a solid example of
philosophy as "spiritual practice". Hadot discusses this question - of
whether or not (and in what sense) Marcus should be considered a
philosopher in his excellent book "The Inner Citadel". The issue is also
discussed with respect to that other great philosopher emperor, Julian,
in Rowland Smith's "Julian's Gods: Religion and Philosophy in the
Thought and Action of Julian the Apostate".

- Curt