[Buddha-l] Re: Pure Conversation vs Koan

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 20:40:59 MDT 2007

Curt wrote:

"I recently read (somewhere....) that Indian
philosophers have made use of dialog formats not
unlike those of Plato (and other Greeks). Does
anyone know if this is true (sorry if this is a dumb
and/or obvious question)?"

I plan to read *The Questions of King Milinda*  in
order to answer exactly that question.  King Milinda
and Nagasena have a dialogue; i.e., King Milinda asks
Nagasena questions about Buddhism and Nagasena answers
them.  At the end, King Milinda converts to Buddhism.
I don't know if the dialogue involves mayeutics or if
it's simply informational Q and A.  Perhaps other
folks on the list would know.

(Note:  I got a low-price Rhys Davids edition at
abebooks.com.  QKM is also online at buddhanet.net in
PDF.)

Katherine Masis